Apr 24, 2007

Wisdom and Weap


I like that Sanskrit calls weapons 'shashtra' and wisdom/scriture/knowledge etc "Shaashtra". The resonance is terrific and onomatopaic shhhhh but also as always 'tra'.

I spent the better part of the last hour making it presentable to 'western' eyes and the result is the attachment titled "wisdom & weapons".

About the latter, one of the meanings in the dictionary is "there are eighteen of them...names.. in which the sages have shown the actions and duties that are of benefit".... Then there is the unusual use of the word shaapa. Usually it means a curse but heer it means the "power of knowledge" (perhaps, to cause mental anguish/pain")

The second, green+highlight part says, in the vedas instruct thta "youth is worthy of a bow"; and the upanishads have this litany of attributes that deserve to be called youthful


-Everything always takes me back to Sanskrit. I like it. Then almost everything needs to me to render it in English in keyboard script. I hate that part.

No comments:

Blog Archive